Ditch the Discounts This Coffee Day
September 29 is National Coffee Day in the United States, and many companies are celebrating by offering discounts and deals on coffee, or even free coffee. This year, Fairtrade America and Conservation International call on coffee drinkers to take a different path and support the farmers and workers producing their morning cup by choosing more sustainable options.
This is especially important now-the international market price for coffee has dropped below US$1 per pound, significantly lower than the cost of production, preventing farmers and workers from turning a profit. For these millions of small-scale coffee farmers struggling to feed their families and make ends meet, it is an increasingly dire situation.
Being a smallholder farmer is challenging. Their livelihoods come down to a single payday each year, and their actual salary is unknown and could vary by 100 percent. This is the reality faced by millions of coffee farmers around the world. This price volatility exacerbates the numerous challenges...
The last Posts from "Food Tank"
- No Silver Bullet for Farmer Poverty: It's About Constant Support and Business
- Communities Deserve More than Standardized Food Policy, Says Mendelsohn
- Building a Borderless Food System in San Diego and Tijuana
- Opinion | Cutting Waste & Keeping Food Fresh with Packaging Made from Plants
- World Diabetes Day: The Food System and Human Health
- 10 Chefs Bringing Forgotten Grains Back to Life
- Large Companies Are “More Open Than I've Ever Seen Before” to Food System Change
- “Farming Is Who I Am”
- 30+ Food Leaders Convene in San Diego
- From Soil to Supper-Technology and the Food System
- At Organic Valley, Organic Takes Care of the Land and Farmers
- Can Measuring Evaporation Help Farmers Save Water?
- Earth Care, People Care, Fair Share: 19 Approaches to Permaculture Around the World
- Creating a Data Democracy in Agricultural Research
- 2018 NYC Food Tank Summit: Fireside Chat with Tim Ma and Gabriele Corcos
- Can Wasting Less Food Between the Farm and Consumer Improve Nutrition?
- Food Loves Tech Expo Brings the Future to Tastebuds
- We Need a New Economy: An Economy in Service to Life, Says Lovins
- 2018 NYC Food Tank Summit: Improving Food Recovery Panel
- 25 Organizations Growing Change in the San Diego Food Ecosystem
The headlines of Food Drink Buzz
How to make Delicious Oreo IceCream with 3 ingredients How to make...
How to make Delicious Oreo IceCream with 3 ingredients | Homemade Oreo Icecream Recipe |No Egg ====================================================== Oreo ice cream is...
Weight Watcher Chicken Marsala
A rich brown sauce made with Marsala wine that envelopes the chicken and infuses the mushrooms forms a mouthwatering dish that tantalizes your taste buds in this episode of POV...
Jack Fruit Curry Recipe
Try Indian jack Fruit Curry Recipe. A great blend of Taste and Helth
Fall harvest wild rice salad
This Fall Harvest Wild Rice Medley is packed with roasted beets, apples, squash, crunchy pepitas, kale, and nutty wild rice.
Cranberry Sauce, made with fresh cranberries, is an easy to make side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
Bibimbap Spaghetti Squash Bowls
This vegetarian Korean-style dinner is low-carb, and loaded with flavor!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Truffles
Full of peanut butter and chocolate goodness these Peanut Butter Chocolate Truffles are the perfect holiday treat that feeds a crowd!
5 Minute Low Carb Hot Chocolate
5 Minute Low Carb Hot Chocolate Recipe
This Keto Stuffing is made with our "cornbread". It's the perfect low carb side dish for Thanksgiving and the holidays.
Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts
A family-favourite side dish thisThanksgiving, these maple roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon and sweet potatoes are super delicious.
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
This healthy sweet potato casserole is gluten-free, allergy friendly, and delicious! Perfect for Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving!
Easy Pumpkin Bread
Easy, moist pumpkin bread made with fresh pumpkin puree.
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
A savory mashed sweet potatoes full of oven roasted garlic, balsamic vinegar, butter, and milk. This makes an excellent side dish.